Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Book Review: House of Sky and Breath (Crescent City #2)











Overall: 3/5

Plots and Themes: 3/5

Characters: 3/5

Writing Style: 2/5

Attention Grabbing: 2/5

House of Sky and Breath is the second book in the Crescent City book series by Sarah J Maas. It's over 800 pages of conflict and conversation with nearly as many characters to match (most of which with names ending in -ion). My thoughts on this one are similar to my thoughts on the first book, a lot of pages with some interesting fragments peppered in. 

One of the things I appreciated from SJM in this series versus her others was the focus on feminine friendship. Despite the unfortunate reality of the bond and how we knew it would have to end, it still had some beautiful moments and bonds that existed outside of the romantic pairing. But she couldn't let that slide, and she used a significant portion of this book to dissolve the trust of that bond giving no power to one side to defend themselves or to repair the breach in trust. 

I kind of liked the ending despite the confusion. Like the first book, the last fifty pages are what really got me. Without that, I would have rated even lower. I liked Bryce in the first book, but I feel she was sacrificed in this book in an attempt to build the arcs of everyone else. When I don't feel her and Hunt's story is well-rounded at all. ACOTAR and TOG did the same thing, but at least she provided us a bit of closure before diving in headfirst. 

So, there were good parts and there were bad parts but the book's greatest weakness is the fact that it relies so heavily on twists and turns rather than actual plot or character development. It was too long for that, and I think it would have been a lot better if it came in at 400 or 500 pages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...