Saturday, January 21, 2023

Book Review: Dance of a Burning Sea (Mousai #2)











Overall: 3/5

Plots and Themes: 3/5

Characters: 3/5

Writing Style: 4/5

Attention Grabbing: 3/5

Dance of a Burning Sea is the second book in Mousai trilogy and follows fairly soon after the conclusion of the first. This book shifts to the middle sister, Niya, and her relationship with a pirate captain. They first met four years ago, their encounters ultimately leaving Niya heartbroken and filled with rage towards the man. When he kidnaps her as a bargaining chip, she can't resist trying to get the upperhand on him which does not work in her favor.

Mixed feelings on this one. I hate it when men trick women in books and I hate it when characters are described as all powerful and clever and yet they are constantly humiliated. It felt like we were being forced to watch Niya fail at points and I nearly DNFed cause I was tired of it. I don't feel like she ever got her moment of triumph, even when she was one step ahead he caught up much faster than she did. It also didn't rub me right that their initial confrontation occurred when she was 17 and he was 20,  made it feel like he had an unfair amount of power from the start. I loved the pirates part of it and I love the Mousai, but I don't think it matched up to the first novel. It might have been due to the overwhelming number of quests and side plots, I couldn't get comfortable with the characters cause there was just too much happening.

I do think it gave me a much better understanding of Niya's powers. When I read the first, it seemed obvious who the most powerful sister was, but I can better understand the balance of it all now. The writing all together was very well done, it just could have been a hundred pages shorter and dragged less with a bit more empowerment for Niya threaded in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...