Monday, January 17, 2022

Book Review: Love & Curse Making (Magical Dating Agency #1)

Love & Curse Making by Kelly St. Clare 

Love & Curse Making

Kelly St. Clare

Overall: 3/5

Plots and Themes: 3/5

Characters: 3/5

Writing Style: 3/5

Attention Grabbing: 4/5

Love & Curse Making is the first book in a new series by Kelly St. Clare where the supernaturals are descended from the gods. There's a whole supernatural society based on what generation you are, with certain lines being eliminated as others coveted their strengths or abilities. Cerys's line is one of those, the heart elementals being all but gone leaving only the less-powerful Cupids in their place. But Cerys is more powerful than a simple Cupid, and if anyone were to know she might end up just as drained and dead as her predecessors. 

I was close to DNFing at the start cause it felt kind of over-explained and weird. But I'm pretty glad that I kept reading cause it actually shaped up to be a pretty unique narrative. I love it when authors take something direct like gods and meld it into a world with unique powers, trials and tribulations. I think Cerys is a pretty decent protagonist with a great curse, not great for her but great in its irony. It also felt somehow nostalgic, I don't know why, but reminiscint of maybe Sabrina the Teenage Witch or older supernatural stuff. 

Overall, I enjoyed it and I'm satisfied with where things left off. It's leading nicely into the next book and I'll be eagerly waiting for it's release.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...