Tuesday, December 28, 2021

The Women of Troy (Women of Troy #2)

The Women of Troy (Women of Troy, #2) 

The Women of Troy

Pat Barker

Linsey Hall

Overall: 4/5

Plot and themes: 4/5

Characters: 3/5

Writing style: 4/5

Attention-grabbing: 3/5

The Women of Troy is the second book in the Women of Troy series, which I did not know until after I finished the book. The thing is that it relates so closely to the events of the Odyssey and everything that I figured we were just jumping right into it, which was my bad. But if you want to read it as a standalone it is in fact possible. 

I love books that depict historical events, or myths or stories like this, from a non-traditional perspective. It's easy to be swept away by the heroics of mythology or to imagine suffering exclusive to the heroes of the narratives, but the ripples of their perceived "strengths" were probably widespread. I appreciated the strengths of the women, Briseis specifically but also Cassandra and the others around her. Comparing it to the "hero narrative" is also a fun kind of side-by-side that emphasized the comparative of the perceived struggles. 

So much of it probably went way over my head but I don't mind that much as I enjoyed it. It was a bit dull at points where we were just living the day-to-day of everyone, but I liked the way that it felt.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...