Sunday, December 12, 2021

Book Review: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy #1)

Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)

Burn for Me

Ilona Andrews

Overall: 5/5

Plot and themes: 5/5

Characters: 5/5

Writing style: 4/5

Attention-grabbing: 5/5

 I would very much appreciate if books that are this good would stop having covers like this. Burn for Me is a paranormal/sci-fi-ish kind of book and contrary to the incredibly romantic looking cover, it goes far beyond the romance. We've got secret powers, we've got intrigue, we've got class conflicts, and we've got MURDER. It all combines to an incredibly interesting and enthralling narrative with a great protagonist who has strong and solid moral boundaries. 

I'll start with my one qualm to get it out of the way before going more into how this book is amazing. There's a bit too much self-reflection where I'm being fed way too much info. Like the author is like wow I'm blonde but over and over people come up and tell me I have a good dye job just cause it looks like I'm racially ambiguous and so on and so forth. Situations like that where her feelings were a bit too spoon fed. But that's very much not the majority, I really like Nevada as a narrator and think she has a voice that I can't get enough of. 

The romance is very artfully done. It's not too overwhelmingly insta, it has the right amount of instant vibes combined with a kind of slow burn that's hindered by Nevada's own instincts. I really love it and think it blends very well into the central plot of the story. Too often in PNR we see the romance overpowering the narrative, but they coexist very well in this book. 

So yeah I'm recommending it 100%. Push past the cover and enjoy it for the banger that it is. It's also kind of an aged book and I'm surprised I've never heard of it before, definitely deserves way more hype.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...