Friday, August 13, 2021

Book Review: Flame and Starlight (The Esteria #1)

Flame and Starlight (The Esteria, #1) 

Flame and Starlight

Dana Isaly

Overall: 2/5

Plot and themes: 1/5

Characters: 1/5

Writing style: 2/5

Attention-grabbing: 2/5

I've been seeing this book recommended because people are saying it's like "reminiscent of ACOTAR" or even that it's a better ACOTAR.  Uhm bro this is literally just ACOTAR like it's literally ACOTAR rewritten with different character names and a slightly different plot. I'm not really a huge ACOTAR fan either and don't remember everything that happened but I think it's summarized pretty easily by the fact that the pick-me girl got swooped up by the tatted up High Lord of the Night Court. By swooped up I mean literally swooped up as he also coincidentally and conveniently has those wings with the same... properties as the bat boys. 

It's just stale. I read a lot of fae books and a lot that are obviously trying to emulate ACOTAR. That's fine with me cause that's the trend and I think it's fun to see the different spins while staying in a familiar territory. This isn't a spin and it's not even something that had me attached to the randos that were introduced. The characters only personalities were being as close to their ACOTAR OGs as possible. The romance was laughable because we had the fated mate thing that was disguised as a choice? I don't even know. 

I'd give it a single star but it was decent enough to get to the end of. I'm not going to recommend it unless you really love ACOTAR and you're hungover or something. Even though this one would probably just make you feel hollow.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...