Sunday, July 4, 2021

Book Review: A Wicked Conceit (Lady Darby #9)

A Wicked Conceit (Lady Darby Mystery, #9)

A Wicked Conceit

Anna Lee Huber

Overall: 4/5

Plot and themes: 3/5

Characters: 4/5

Writing style: 4/5

Attention-grabbing: 4/5

A Wicked Conceit is the ninth and latest book in the Lady Darby series following Kiera and Sebastian Gage as they hunt down murderers and solve mysteries. Kiera is in the final days of her first pregnancy but there's drama unfolding in the city as a book released by an anonymous author throws them into another scandal. Despite her upcoming due date, Kiera is unwilling to let it rest and let her child be tainted by the idea of illegitimacy. There are also other things she's kept from Gage and everything's going wrong all at once. 

I thought this was a nice addition the series and I liked the mystery and how the character arcs are progressing. I will say that I was unhappy with the way that Sebastian and Alana treated Kiera and for very different reasons. To some extent though I can respect that Sebastian is really acting the best that a man of his class and station could ever be expected to act in the situation. Also though it's annoying how he keeps praising Kiera for her independence of mind then turning around and biting her head off for the same thing. Alana felt like she was just trying to get involved in something that wasn't her business and she was being really rude while doing so then they just threw in some past angst to justify it. 

I'm glad it all worked out and I thought it was a pretty fun and wild ride through and through. I'm glad that they're staying consistent with their original personalities while still growing and expanding as characters. It was a little weird and misplaced though for Lady Darby to meet her first Black person ever and then be like oops racism better do something. I don't really like how she consistently reflects on her ability to go above and beyond with her employees and those around her. That should be something we see rather than get a monologue about. But even while saying that I'm glad we're seeing her reconstruct her life with her new priorities and not losing any of her original spark. 

But yeah, it was a good addition to an amazing series and I'm really glad I read it. I can't wait to see where the characters go next! I have a horrible feeling that this whole thing with Bonnie Brock might become more integral to the plot though and we know who would have to die for that to happen so uh that better be a crazy and far out prediction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...