Saturday, July 24, 2021

Book Review: Song of the Forever Rains (Mousai #1)

Song of the Forever Rains (Mousai, #1) 

Song of the Forever Rains

E.J. Mellow

Overall: 5/5

Plot and themes: 4/5

Characters: 5/5

Writing style: 5/5

Attention-grabbing: 5/5

Larkyra has just reached her majority, the youngest of the trio of Mousai that inspires fear and respect for the Thief King. Her voice gives her magic that most could not comprehend, the ability to rip people apart or put them back together. She's ready for taking on more responsibilities, she wants to succeed at her first solo mission. It involves her posing as a fake fiancee for a corrupt duke, using an addictive form of diluted magic and taking out the subsequent aggression on his stepson. 

I liked this book a lot. I thought it had a pretty decent plot that kept me engaged through the very end. What really made it so notable and unique among all the other books with similar plots would probably be the family dynamics. The banter between the sisters was hilarious and fun and just felt so authentic. And the fact that they have such an open and mutually respectful relationship with their father? Basically unheard of in this kind of fantasy and I was living for it. 

Larkyra's powers were also a fun part of the narrative. I love a good plot line all about balance, balancing the strength that a power like that provides you with the responsibility which you have to keep it under control. I just love a protagonist who is so aware of themselves, it's just really refreshing. 

So while it was a tad predictable and a little weak on the romantic front, I really appreciated this read. I don't know if I'll read the next when it comes out because I'm obsessed with Larkyra but like this is a definite recommend.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...