Monday, June 28, 2021

Book Review: The Turncoat King (The Rising Wave #1)

The Turncoat King (The Rising Wave #1) 

The Turncoat King

Michelle Diener

Overall: 2/5

Plot and themes: 2/5

Characters: 3/5

Writing style: 2/5

Attention-grabbing: 2/5

The Turncoat King is technically the first book in the Rising Wave series. It follows Ava and Luc after they escape prison and attempt to take down a country that has wronged them both severely. It's absolutely impossible to read this book without reading the novella which comes before it, which I didn't really like because I kind of subscribe to the belief that novellas should be optional. They both have magic that's gradually revealed as the book goes on that only makes them a stronger team. 

I don't know I was going to give it three stars but then the more I thought about it the more I remembered how weak everything was. It was like the Warprize books except also none of the same foundational elements? The love was way too insta-love for me to really get behind it and everything felt like it was being forced on me. Let me form my own opinions on characters rather than continuously telling me how great Luc is for doing the minimum or vice versa. 

I did think Ava's powers were super cool and had the potential to be a lot better in the sequel. They're virtually limitless and I love that, but Ava's also humble enough about it not to use it incorrectly. Luc's powers were poorly defined and considering how long this book dragged on and how thoroughly some things were described, I feel as though we could've had more. 

All in all it wasn't horrible it just wasn't all that exciting and it was pretty verbose. It's kind of trying to play off a lot of fantasy romance tropes but it's not quite hitting the marks. I might read the sequel when it comes out just because I liked the magic so much but we'll see.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...