Sunday, June 13, 2021

Book Review: Scorched Heart (Firebrand #4)

Scorched Heart (The Firebrand, #4)

Scorched Heart

Helen Harper

Overall: 5/5

Plot and themes: 4/5

Characters: 5/5

Writing style: 5/5

Attention-grabbing: 5/5

This is the fourth and most recent addition in the Firebrand series following the adventures of Emma, a detective for the Supernatural Squad and a supernatural entity all on her own. She's finally decided it's time to investigate the tragedy of her parents murder, but she's quick to discover that the clean-cut confession from 25 years prior could have been all an elaborate mistake. With more murders cropping up in the same fashion, she takes it upon herself to right the wrongs that set her whole supernatural journey into motion. 

I like paranormal books well enough, but there's a thin line that they're usually walking between funny and overdone. This series has really nailed the balance between that kind of sardonic humor of urban fantasy protagonists with a serious plot. It's also more of an adventure with romance rather than a romance with adventure, enough to satisfy the fact that I basically can't read books without romance at this point but not to overdone to ruin it for readers who prefer action. I think that this whole series has been so well-written and all of the mysteries have been so well-constructed. It has the real potential to be an extended series of mysteries with really infinite volumes in my opinion. 

The only thing I was a little disappointed with was the revelation of the nature of her phoenix powers. I don't know, it's probably more like my preference in the characters I read but the nature of the right-place-right-time thing just felt weird. I didn't hate it completely, but I'm definitely looking forward to future additions to give more of an explanation into the mythology of it all. I don't know if a fifth book has been announced, I know there's another series coming out but I don't know if I'll read it. I just want more of Emma and Lukas to be honest, their relationship is really shaping up with the progression of the mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...