Sunday, May 23, 2021

Book Review: The Archived (The Archived #1)

The Archived (The Archived, #1)

The Archived

Victoria Schwab

5/5

For the past four years, Mackenzie has had the title of Keeper. As such, she has a key that transports her into a secret Archive where the memories of the dead are kept. Not so much memories, more like ghosts. And when those ghost wake, it's up to her to guide them back to their drawers and resting places. After the death of her brother, her family decides to move to a new location with a higher traffic for these Histories and more confusion than she's ever known as a Keeper. 

This book was way better than I expected it to be. Think of it as like Ninth House but with a more YA spin. It had the intricate and beautiful worldbuilding that you would expect from a VE Schwab book while being aimed for a younger audience. There's definitely a huge difference in being aimed for a young audience and being well-written though, and this book definitely highlights that. It's made me super nostalgic because this is exactly the kind of thing that I would have read and loved in middle or high school. Didn't make me love it any less now. 

I'm excited to see how the duology concludes, it's definitely up there with my favorite VE Schwab books and I've read quite a few at this point. If you're a big fan of the paranormal then I can't recommend this book strongly enough. Also it made me cry so it definitely has a great emotional impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...