Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Book Review: Rhapsodic (The Bargainer #1)

Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)

Rhapsodic

Laura Thalassa

3/5

I'm literally so conflicted on this rating, I don't know if three stars does it justice but I don't know if it deserves four stars? When Callypso was a teenager, she struck a deal with the Bargainer, a powerful figure who takes magical IOUs in return for basically you can ask for. These IOUs usually come with some devastating side effects and political turmoil, and Callie has somehow found herself owing over 300 of them. 

I enjoyed it, I think it's an enjoyable read. I think it was really questionable at points and really reminiscent of ACOTAR. I loved the combination of past and present POVs, I think that the author did a great job distinguishing between the Callie of before and the Callie of now. The problem I really had with that was how much she grew and how little he did. Maybe that's something that could be fixed in the next book but I'm kind of sick of the super old dude who is just waiting the girl's arc out. I know the seven years had an impact on him but I didn't feel it in the same way I felt it from her. 

I also think that the conflict was rushed at the end. They basically spent 350 pages on pointless stuff- well integral to the characters rather than the conflict. That's fine, but I think it would have been better if the book had ended on a cliffhanger rather than a resolution on that front. I know that another issue is going to pop up quickly, but I think the pacing could have just been better. 

I think it was much more entertaining than it was... good? It's the kind of book that was fun while it lasted but doesn't stand up to much critical thought after your finished with it. Which is totally fine, sometimes you just need that kind of read and if you're looking for it then I think this is a great one! But also if you want something super deep, maybe hold off for a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...