Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Book Review: Acolyte (Tempris #2)

Acolyte (Tempris #2)

Acolyte

Stephanie Fisher

4/5

After being separated, somewhat by choice and somewhat by circumstance, Skye and Taly are both trying to figure out how to best serve their kingdom and find their way back to each other. Taly is trapped in some temporal loop until she can master her time magic and Skye is trapped in a position which he used to be proud to hold until it decided to hold him back from saving his best friend. 

I think that the worldbuilding and writing style was just a lot stronger in this book. I talked about their being a bit of literal conversations in the last book that kind of turned me off, this one was a lot less of that. I did think some of the portions were a little heavy in the descriptions, but time travel is kind of crazy complicated and I can understand why that was necessary. I love the time magic and all the different kinds of magic in general, they're complicated but open so many doors for great plot lines. The thought that went into the time manipulations was insane, I was struggling to keep up with all the twists and turns.

The romance is also pretty good, though I'm still not sure on how much they bonded as children. I think that the addition of his brother as a possible romantic rival is something that I don't need and I hope it's not all that significant in the future books. I really like the idea of antics that span across so many different timelines to the point that they're never sure what's going to happen next, the idea of Taly being able to see a completely different world than Skye but still taking him along for the ride.

Yeah so I'll definitely be reading any other books that are released in this universe. It's somehow the perfect amount of cute and complex and I think there's so many places that the world could go. I would recommend it, even for people who don't typically like the craziness that time travel can create.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...