Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Book Review: Taken: The Coldest Fae (The Coldest Fae #1)

Taken: The Coldest Fae

Taken: The Coldest Fae

Katerina Martinez

3/5

Okay really conflicted on the rating for this one, I liked reading it and I think it has a lot of promising material it just dragged so much at parts. The book starts in an alternative London where mages think they're superior to humans. The protagonist, Dahlia, is promptly kidnapped and taken to a secret fae kingdom where she's enrolled in a bachelor style competition for the fae prince's hand in marriage. Except think less pageantry and more like fight for your life and if you lose you might die. 

I read the premise and was skeptical but again, I think it has some great potential to be something kind of original. I liked Dahlia, I love books about protagonists who are seamstresses like they just hit different. There are also a lot of mysteries to uncover, nothing was revealed too soon and the author is definitely going to make us work for it. I think it just has a bit too go but it could be great. 

I will say that there should be a little more focus on the other characters or Dahlia's relationship with them. What makes books like this great is the partnerships and allies which the characters make along the way. The romance hasn't been overdone yet, regardless of what it might originally appear as. It's teetering right now though so I'm really hoping that it turns into something amazing. 

The next book comes out next week (the turnover is really impressive I have no idea how these Kindle Unlimited authors do it). I'll definitely be reading it because, like I said, there are a lot of things that leave me wanting more and I'm excited to see where it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...