Sunday, January 31, 2021

Book Review: Black Crown (The Darkest Drae #3)

Black Crown (The Darkest Drae #3)

Black Crown

Raye Wagner and Kelly St. Clare

2/5

The battle is finally here. Well, I say finally but it's been like two months since the first book and we're all the way to revolution but whatever. Ryn and Tyrrik are stronger than ever and ready to face her evil father. Unfortunately, he kind of has an advantage as he has the ability to control her mind whenever he wants. It's like they really barely know each other but also whatever they're ready to unseat an emperor who is thousands of years old. 

I thought maybe the other books would be okay and this one would be a heartfelt and intense conclusion. I thought wrong. This book dragged, it had a bunch of weird random elements that felt out of place. I probably should have expected it given the whole nature of their powers the entire time. The powers were entirely based on need and the protagonists were just way over powered, especially Ryn who had all the powers in the strongest possible way. It was a book based on convenience and it really owned that till the end. 

It had some good moments but I don't think I'm recommending it. At best, it's a kind of weak imitation of the elements that succeeded in ACOTAR. At worst, it's a weird and basic portrayal of dragons and a fantasy world. I don't think I should have finished it but I wanted the closure. Points for it being somewhat entertaining enough to make it to the end, but that's about all it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...