Sunday, December 27, 2020

Book Review: Caraval (Caraval #1)

Caraval (Caraval, #1)

Caraval

Stephanie Garber

3/5

I've heard so much about this series over the years I felt obligated to try it out. Set in a fantasy world where a man named Legend hosts a yearly Caraval that confuses and intrigues people at random locations. Scarlett is about to be married to a man whom she has never met, she's completely willing to do so though if it means getting her away from her father. Every year she writes to Legend in an attempt to see Caraval. This year, a week before her wedding, she is sent tickets for her and her sister. 

The plot and the mystery was the better part. I think it was interesting because it was a little trippy, a little difficult to follow. I was also not expecting the end, I never completely knew what was going to happen next so that's always a plus. I wasn't super shocked but it was definitely confusing enough to throw me off. 

What really got me down to the point that I don't know if I'll continue the series is just the characters. This is personal preferences I think and just the type of characters I like reading, but I honestly don't really like any of them all that much. They're either manipulative liars or they're kind of on the dull side. I've also kind of had my fill on super old men and teenage girls- just because they don't physically age doesn't mean getting in a relationship with someone who ha a relationship with your grandma is okay. 

I don't know if I'll go on in the series because of the character thing but maybe they get better? Again, I think that the mystery and the magic of it all was super fun and interesting. The series seems to be crazy popular so maybe I'm just thinking too much into some of their early mistakes. We'll see if I can get into the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...