Friday, November 13, 2020

Book Review: Tempting Hades: A Greek God Romance

Tempting Hades: A Greek God Romance

Tempting Hades

Emma Hamm

4/5

I've had problems with Emma Hamm in the past, where she starts books and they're pretty interesting but then they kind of lose me towards the end. This book was good all the way through, a rewrite of Greek history that I can really get behind. The story of Persephone and Hades is up for constant debate- was it a romance or just a twisted power move? I think that this book very succinctly puts it forward as a case of an overbearing mother rather than an abusive pairing. 

I will say that I was confused by the whole subplot of the man trying to worship Persephone and get the real story. He is trading his life for it but I don't see a real purpose for it, like the story is very obviously misconstrued and misunderstood by the people but it's not like he's spreading this to everyone. He died really just so he'd know the truth. To each their own I guess. 

I like the idea of the balance between Persephone and Hades, that they were facing such innate loneliness that nothing but their cohesive powers could fill. The family dynamics of the gods are weird and people really just ignore all the incest and stuff but like I'm always down for a story about fate. I wish we had seen more about the depth of Persephone's powers though, everyone kept saying how strong and monstrous she was but other than the line on Menthe there wasn't much happening there. 

Overall though it was a fun and fast read. I liked it and would recommend it to anyone who likes Greek mythology or romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...