Saturday, September 26, 2020

Book Review: Unravel the Dusk (The Blood of Stars #2)

  Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)

Unravel the Dusk

Elizabeth Lim

4/5

I really went back and forth between four stars and five stars. Like, the ending was five stars for sure. The beginning and all the waffling and filler content kind of took the star off for me. But the ending brought it all back together because wow I absolutely loved it. I loved the first book in this duology last year, but a lot of people talked to me afterwards about the questionable age difference Maia and Edan. I stand by it on the basis of it being fantasy and immortality being a kind of gray area on age differences. I think that Elizabeth Lim took that into account, or it was just the natural progression of Edan as a character. He was so wholesome and just supportive in this novel and so much less broody, you could hardly tell how many hundreds of years old he was. 

The relationship is an essential part of the story, but there is also a beautiful blend of other legends and myths of the region. The dresses were a great story line in the first, but introducing the Red Strings of Fate, AKA one of my favorite legends, I was a thousand percent more invested. Everything just has such a nice place in the progression and the book honestly deserves so much more hype. If you had reservations after the first one, the ending of this one is just so beautifully cohesive and definitely worth the read. 

I don't want to spoil anything but I loved the last hundred pages a lot. It simultaneously had me so happy yet bawling. Introduce ghosts to the story and have them apologize for dying? I don't know that always GETS ME. Yeah I recommend it though, totally worth the read!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...