Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Book Review: Murder on St. Nicholas Avenue (Gaslight Mystery #18)

 Murder on St. Nicholas Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #18)

Murder on St. Nicholas Avenue

Victoria Thompson

4/5

It took me forever to start this book cause the events of the last book wrapped everything up so nicely. Not to say I didn't want more content, but I knew that this one was going to be from a different point of view. It took mea  little longer to get into it than it normally does with these books, and I would never want all of the books to be like this, but it definitely had its moments. 

It almost felt like a comic relief filler episode. It was definitely relevant to the character arcs of Maeve, Gino, and the Deckers, even to the Malloys through a second degree. However, with Malloy and Sarah being almost completely absent, it felt more like a novella side quest. I didn't like the feeling of filling in the gaps, I get very attached to the protagonists and though Mrs. Decker is great and Sarah's mom and similar to Sarah, she's not Sarah and I would never want her to be Sarah. 

So this is the first book in the series that I really would say would make a better standalone. Not really, because it's important to know all of their arcs and how they got here, but the mystery was a lot better than what I was giving it credit for. Like I said, it won me over with how funny and wholesome it was. But I'll never like it as much as I love the banter and originality of Frank and Sarah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...