Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Book Review: Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices #2)

Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices, #2)

 Lord of Shadows

Cassandra Clare

5/5

This book destroyed me wow I haven't been more upset about a Cassandra Clare character death since City of Glass- which I read in like 2013. It isn't just the drama and the shock of forbidden romance/death here. Clare has created a crazily interwoven narrative that follows the lives of so many people that aren't entirely centered on any specific issue. They all have such complex issues and arcs and it's just really captivating. I was hesitant to get back into Shadowhunters because I didn't have a great experience with City of Heavenly Fire, but this series is redeeming it entirely. 

There's a lot going on here. This is a sequel series and can be read as a standalone? I suppose? But I wouldn't recommend it at all. Like TID and TMI could be on their own no problem, but these books weave in so much of that history. I'm struggling to keep up with it all cause I read TMI so long ago. It's not a bad thing it's just a difficult thing to sell people into at this point in the universe. I don't regret continuing at all though, I said this with Chain of Gold and I'm saying it again here. I'm glad that I went on because these characters are so endearing and just amazing to read about.

People have told me over the years that the newer Shadowhunter books are way more inclusive. That's totally true, she's covering a lot of bases here in terms of sexuality and orientation. It's not taking the story over though, not to say it shouldn't but I know a lot of people feel that her diversifying her characters takes something away from the universe. It doesn't at all, anything that's added to give further depth to the characters could never take away from the story. I think that Clare does it artfully and I wish more authors would actively acknowledge their constant inability to represent everyone the way that she does. 

So read it for sure. If you loved TMI or TID, you're going to love this series. I've already downloaded the last book in the trilogy and I'm ready to be even more upset in the best way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...