Friday, July 31, 2020

Book Review: Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices #1)

Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices, #1)
Lady Midnight
Cassandra Clare
5/5

I really thought that Cassandra Clare was going to mix it up and write a book where the main couple were upfront and honest with each other. I suffered through the issues of legality because I was like they're not lying to each other about their feelings at least. Well I was WRONG and Cassandra Clare has once again made me upset. Though in the best of ways because honestly this book hit me so hard.

Emma and Julian are parabatai, a sacred bond of the shadowhunters. There's a major rule to being shadowhunters, you can't fall in love with each other romantically. And oops, Emma and Julian fell in love with each other. It's throwing a major wrench into all of the other life-threatening things that are happening around them and causing a lot of general emotional turmoil. Also, trying not to spoil but I never expected that first romantic scene from Cassandra Clare- it was like BAM five years of build up just attacked them all at once.

I love the features of the other characters in this series- Magnus, Clary, Jem, and Tessa especially. I love the relationship that Emma and Julian have formed with Clary and Jace. I was afraid to read this book because I didn't want to see my favorites all grown up. I said this with Chain of Gold too, and once I had seen how well Cassie did that one I knew I had to read this one. Absolutely no regrets, I thought I wouldn't be able to handle it but seeing them in this new stage of their life is just amazing and gives me so much happiness.

I need these guys to be happy though. Everyone in the story, I know that the Blackthorns have taken up their own spot in the Shadowhunter universe for me now. Same with Christina, though we didn't get enough of her here. I can't wait to read the next book in the series, the only reason I'm glad I held off on reading these was because I get to read them all at once now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...