Monday, July 20, 2020

Book Review: Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1)

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)
Clockwork Angel
Cassandra Clare
4/5

It's so difficult for me to think critically about a book series that I'm rereading- especially one that I loved as much as I loved this one. I first read this series in eighth grade, and while I can acknowledge the writing level is catered for people around that age, I was still entertained by it seven years later. Maybe it's because it's coming so close to reading Chain of Gold, but all the characters had me really nostalgic.

Will is a lot more angsty than I remember, especially in comparison to CoG. I've read the entire series so I understand the reasoning, but it truly felt that every step forward was a step backward. Reading this series in comparison to Cassandra Clare's recent writing is really indicative of her progression as a writer. This series and TMI feels so insta-love, and while I love the romance here and wouldn't want it any other way, the connections in TLH feel so much more authentic.

I never thought I'd be recommending shadowhunters in 2020, but it's been a crazy year. I think I'm going to reread them all because generally the world-building is just beautiful and unique. I love Jem and Will and Tessa and don't think I will ever stop loving their stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...