Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Book Review: King of Scars (Nikolai Duology #1)

King of Scars (Nikolai Duology, #1)
King of Scars
Leigh Bardugo
3/5

I think I fall with the general majority when I say I didn't like the Shadow and Bone trilogy all that much, I loved Six of Crows, and I'm kind of indifferent here. Nikolai is a cool character, I'll never get over how Alina turned him down in favor of Mal like I understand it I just don't vibe with that choice. That being said, him getting a duology feels like a great move. It was good and I'm glad we see more about him, but I feel like I was losing track of his plotline in the mix of it all. It took me so long to read this book because I just kept getting sidetracked and I wasn't really interested in most of what was going on. 

The ending did surprise me. I think people were mad about it but it felt like the logical way to go for me. I won't spoil it cause you know why would I do that, I just think that it'll provide a necessary and more central conflict to the duology. The original trilogy isn't void because of it, it's just a continuation and if it's done well it'll be fine. 

I don't know if I should keep reading these books because like the hype is astronomical but they kind of fall flat for me. I don't know if I'll read the next one when she puts it out, but I'm glad I've gotten this far with the characters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...