Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Book Review: Murder at Rudhall Manor (A Lucy Anne Trotter Mystery #1)

Murder at Rudhall Manor (A Lucy Anne Trotter Mystery, #1)
Murder at Rudhall Manor
Anya Wylde
3/5

I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review so here we go. After leaving the orphanage which she has called home for her whole life, Lucy Trotter transitions into the life of a governess. Three months after starting, she is accused of not only robbing the family, but murdering the lord of the manor. Only the combined investigative skills of herself and Lord Adair, a visiting investigator, can absolve her of the crime.

I liked the general plot of it, I think it had a fun twist that I didn't see coming. I did have a difficult time following the progression of events, it felt clunky and not as fluent as I prefer my mysteries to be. The exposition was too given, it should have been interpreted through actions. The character development was kind of awkward in the same way- too direct.

I did like the mystery though and I think that it has a lot of potential for the future. I don't know if a romance is on the horizon but I did like the chemistry between Lord Adair and Lucy, there was some potential there. I thought the "love" she had with Peter was weird and under-developed, but if there's romance later on, I won't be complaining. Thank you Anya for the chance to read this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...