Sunday, March 8, 2020

Promises and Primroses (Mayfield Family #1)

Promises and Primroses (Mayfield Family #1)
Promises and Primroses
Josi S. Kilpack
3/5

This book was tricky for me to rate because it wasn't bad, it was fairly good, it just had nothing to distinguish it from other books. I read a lot of this same genre, for a book to be really good it has to have something that makes it special, a character or a plot that I like. Here, Julia wants her independence and gets it through her governess position. Her mother finds out that it is in the household of a man who courted her and then abandoned her and tries to get her out of there in fear that her daughter will fall the same way that she did. Peter, the man whose home she's living in, strives against any impropriety because of the scandal of his birth.

It's similar to so many books but I didn't really love the characters so I couldn't say that it was great. It's relatively likable it's just not anything that will stick in my mind. I did like the simultaneous romances of both the mother and the daughter, it's just neither of them came across as particularly strong characters. It also annoyed me that it was so close to christian fiction, since those stories can get very repetitive to me, without actually advertising itself as christian fiction. Don't think that I would have read it if I had known.

I don't think I'd recommend it, it wasn't a bad read, just completely average in every way. But if you like second chance romances and you like regency romances that are extremely clean then this would be the book for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...