Sunday, March 1, 2020

Book Review: Year One (Chronicles of The One #1)

Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1)
Year One
Nora Roberts
3/5

This is a great book to read with all the panic happening about coronavirus. A plague has taken out a major chunk of the world's population and different factions are just trying to stay alive. As people die, more magic comes into the world, and now there's a whole different war as people struggle to understand their new world. It had a lot of different POVs, a lot going on, and a fairly believable portrayal of the struggle for power if more than half of the population died out.

From this point on I'm going to be pretty spoilery, so on Goodreads I'll block it out, but on my blog you'll just have to read at your own risk. I knew from the second that I read the synopsis that Max was a goner- you can't call someone a "lover" in a book description and get away with it. I think his death was lackluster, I think the culmination of the separate groups into New Hope was dull, and I think that Lana almost immediately getting into another relationship with the literal first person she talked to after Max's death was weird. The first half of the book was great, we're dealing with the Doom and the evil brothers and just generally horrible people who survived, but after we get into the actual survival and rebuilding part this book lost me.

I might being too harsh here, but I think I was also bored because it reminded me so much of The Stand. When there isn't enough to distinguish a book as special, I tend to be meaner about the review. There was a much more complex system of magic and magical creatures but I don't feel like it got enough attention for it to be unique. Maybe that'll be something that is further described in the next one, but this one should have had more given everything that was going on.

Here's where the spoilers end. I liked it to a certain point, I probably wouldn't recommend it. I got it for a dollar at Goodwill so I'm not mad about it, it wasn't horrible, it just wasn't special.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...