Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Book Review: Love is Blind

Love Is Blind
Love is Blind
Lynsay Sands
3/5

Love is Blind depicts the story of a woman in regency-era England who is pretty severely near-sighted. Which would be fine except for the fact that she isn't allowed to wear her spectacles because of the mandates of her stepmother. This makes her season pretty bad as she keeps dumping hot tea in people's laps and lighting people on fire. Adrian Montfort sees it as the perfect opportunity because he hopes to hide his face scar from her and secure a match based on love rather than his title. The kind of premise we all love to see, and executed fairly well, in a lighthearted and comical way.

I liked it because I love romances and I love seeing how people operated in the past. I just can't handle reading historical accounts when things like this are so much more fun, albeit sometimes not as historically accurate. Here, I would have liked to see a lot more focus on optometry in the 1800s, she just walked into a shop, got her spectacles and they worked perfectly? It felt like a flawed approach to what was a central plot conflict. Same with his scarring, we didn't hear anything about his time as a soldier or even really how it impacted him. It just felt like we were being occasionally told that a certain thing had happened to him when it was convenient in the plot for that to be his history.

The main villains weren't really villains, everyone was given their own redemption. I think that's fine to each their own, but I prefer being able to vilify and hate someone at the end of the day. Maybe that makes me basic but I think that just makes me human.

I always have so much more to write about books that I have negative critiques on. Like I said in the introduction, it was lighthearted and comical and books like this always get me thinking on how much less women were allowed to do and know even just 150 years ago. I liked it, I just wish it had had more depth to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...