Sunday, September 1, 2019

Book Review: Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox #2)

Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)

Soul of the Sword
Julie Kagawa
4/5

I've heard that Soul of the Sword isn't as good as Shadow of the Fox, but I think that if you liked the first, you'll definitely like the second. The second book continues to follow Yumeko as she attempts to preserve the world from being destroyed by the Kami Dragon and save her partner in crime, Tatsumi, from total possession by the demon Hakaimono. We get alternating POVs from Yumeko, Hakaimono, Tatsumi, and Suki, a ghost from the first novel.

I'd like to say I loved the fact that Suki has maintained her importance throughout both books. When I started Shadow of the Fox last year I was so sad when I thought it was over for her, she just is way too innocent and good for that. Her role is formative while not making me feel like I'm following too many story lines, I think it was very well done.

Tatsumi and his demon possession, that kills me. But Kagawa also did a great job leading to the ultimate end resolution between the two, because I didn't really hate Hakaimono. He kept saying he wanted suffering and bloodshed and to break Tatsumi's mind, I didn't like that, but he has goals and he has like I don't know a strong sense of what he wants from the world. Kagawa also gave him a first person voice, it's difficult to see a character as this distance villain to hate when you've been inside his head. It gives a cool duality to a demon, something that's not easy to do when he literally tried to rip my favorite character's heart out.

Ok spoilers ahead for the side characters, bail now if you don't want to hear about that. Okame and Daisuke, I didn't see that coming. Usually I'm pretty good about seeing relationships coming, especially LGBT ones because I feel like authors are under a little more pressure to give more signs since the whole JK Rowling and Dumbledore thing. I liked it here, I feel like it was given as much attention as any side romance would, I appreciate the normalization, and I thought it was pretty cute. There's a little potential there, I love a romance that fights together like it's a great dynamic that I'm here for. Those few short pages were such a highlight for me when all I get from Tatsumi and Yumeko is like a cheek touch every three hundred pages.

The only negative thing I'd say about this book is that there are some really slow scenes. The first book had this as well, I think the Iron Fey might have had this as well if I'm remembering correctly. I think some of it comes with taking on such heavy material, there are a lot of elements that need to be fleshed out in a not so exciting way. It wouldn't make me not recommend the series to people, I think this series should definitely be on any fantasy lovers TBR list. Can't wait for the third!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...