Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Book Review: The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air #1)

The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
The Cruel Prince
Holly Black
3/5

This book has been on my TBR list forever, I think I had the ebook from the library at one point and then I just couldn't get into it. I definitely got into it this time, I've heard so many people tell me that if you make it past the initial parts of the book it really picks up, I think I can confirm that. The book is through the perspective of Jude, who has been living in the world of Faerie since her adopted father killed her parents when she was seven. She and her twin sister don't have any fey blood and they are the subject of constant bullying from the other fey children who despise them. Obviously, this only makes her want to be included, so she's trying to fight her way into becoming a permanent member of the courts. This book is set in modern day, which I didn't expect, so there are references to the real world that shocked me and add an interesting twist.

I couldn't decide if I liked Jude, she's one of those characters that I went back and forth from being like wow you're literally so stupid to wow I would have done the same thing. She isn't a character who is constantly right or embarrassingly wrong, I think she just makes the mistakes that most people of her aspirations would make. I liked her better than the rest of the characters, because honestly all of the people in this book suck in some way. I don't think it could be a five star read just on the grounds that I don't love anyone, there's a disconnect between me and their story lines.

I'm excited to read the next book, I can't wait how Jude deals with everything she has created. I appreciated how she is making changes without being the chosen one- though I do love a good chosen one plot- she's a normal person who has been thrown into an impossible situation. I don't know if I'll end up liking Cardan, he isn't especially charismatic or funny, or even cruel in an interesting way. I think he's a character that I might decide I like later on when he gets more coverage, I don't feel like he was in this book all that much.

If you start this book and you hate it, I'd definitely recommend continuing. It has a great plot, the kind of thing that could build into a real thriller, especially given the potential for romance and treachery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...