Sunday, August 25, 2019

Book Review: Renegades (Renegades #1)

Renegades (Renegades, #1)

Renegades
Marissa Meyer
4/5

This book series has a lot of hype, Marissa Meyer is a great writer and The Lunar Chronicles was so good. This one feels kind of similar while simultaneously being completely different. It follows Nova, AKA Nightmare AKA Insomnia, an Anarchist/Renegade hoping to take down the existing government run by superheroes. The other main character, Adrian AKA Sketch AKA the Sentinel, is obsessed with catching Nightmare, figuring out who killed his mom, and also maintaining the order of things. It's a superhero book, lots of people have lots of powers and they're very conveniently described in the character index at the front of the book.

The interesting thing about this book was that it’s difficult to really pick a side. Like, I’m pretty sure I support the Renegades and order and all, but also I don’t want Nova’s entire life to be a lie or anything. I also want her to have friends and to be honest and stuff so I spent the whole book with a lot of anxiety. Books with double agents like this tend to stress me out because I like it better when everyone’s either on the same side or like clear cut who do I hate and who do I love.

I read the Lunar Chronicles when I was like 15 and this is like on the same level, solid YA, but it’s a nice read. The romance is feeling clean and slow-burn, if it ever amounts to anything I don’t know it probably will. Like I said, there are double agents involved so you never know what’s really going to happen it’s tough when everyone’s been indoctrinated.

Again, it’s a younger YA so a little lower than I typically read. I still think it has it’s highlights though, super powers and super heroes are always fun. Plus, who doesn’t love government corruption and anarchy. I’d recommend it for people who like sci-fi or dystopia, it's kind of a political thriller with superheroes. I just finished watching The Boys on Amazon, and like it's obviously not the same but it has some similar concepts depicted in a nicer way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...