Saturday, August 10, 2019

Book Review: Last Star Burning (Last Star Burning #1)

Last Star Burning (Last Star Burning #1)

Last Star Burning
Caitlin Sangster
3/5

Overview

My library had this categorized as fantasy, but I feel like it falls more exactly into science fiction. Last Star Burning follows the journey of Sev, a sixteen-year-old whom has spent half her life as a bottom-tier member of society constantly trying to make up for her mother's traitorous crimes. It gave me a very Uglies vibe because, propaganda! I love books that play with the concept of propaganda and how it can mess with society. Sev has been so deeply brainwashed, as has everyone, and nothing is truly what it seems.

There is a romance in this book, though I'll say it's not very strong, which is possible potential for the trilogies. The pacing of it all felt a little off, there were time jumps and I wasn't feeling the full extent of their emotional connection. Howl is a weird character for me, I wanted to like him, but all of the chaos surrounding him makes it hard to really know him. I think it was a decent plot twist, it'll be interesting to see where it goes.

I did like Sev, I think she has the potential to be a great lead. It was interesting to see her retain her trust in Howl, and then explain her relationship with her mother. I like her loyalty and I like her strength. Also, I liked how she wasn't afraid to complain about her injuries. She breaks her ribs very early on in the book and those injuries stay with her for an accurate period of time. That just felt like a nice little detail to carry-through.

Would I Recommend?

Yeah, it's a nice little propaganda sci-fi. There are some parts that could have been done better, I do wish I felt more passionately about the world and the characters, but something about the pacing just made it difficult to follow. If you like dystopia, this is a pretty solid choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...