Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Book Review: A Criminal Magic

A Criminal Magic

A Criminal Magic
Lee Kelly
4/5

Overview

I would like to start by saying that this universe is super unique and I was living for it. The Roaring 20s and prohibition magic? That's the kind of uniqueness and all-around amazing that I'm always looking for. The book follows Joan, an impoverished young woman from Virginia trying to make her way on the illegal magic scene in DC, and Alex, a guy whose father ruined his life by being caught on the illegal magic scene and is trying to redeem himself through exposing them. For that reason, the romance that brews between them is semi-forbidden, they're fighting different wars. It gives it that whole impossible vibe that keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time.

This romance is clean and cute for the most part, he conjurers her flowers and they do a magic show together and I love it. It is kind of stressful though because the whole time I was like dreading when they'd get torn apart when the world's collide and all, but that just increases the drama.

(Spoiler) I cannot believe that this book is a standalone. The whole last thirty pages as I felt the plot closing yet remaining unresolved, I was like there has to be some kind of happy ending. Alex and Joan get torn apart and it makes sense, it's a closer for sure, it's just not the one I was hoping for. I think it was realistic, real life doesn't always guarantee a fully happy ending, but in their own ways, they'll be happy apart. Alex will get his recognition and Joan gets her money and her cousin and sister. I'm just sad that there isn't an ending for them together. (End Spoiler)

The only downside to the book would be the pacing. There were some weird time jumps and I'm not exactly sure how long each of the stages of the book lasted. It makes the romance feel a little rushed because so much of the random moments and humanizing parts of it got skipped. It's not a huge deal, just one of the things that kept it from being a five-star read in my head.

Would I Recommend?

Amazing world-building and a great historical fantasy, so for sure! If you love the Roaring 20s or like anything about the mafia, this will be a fun little twist on history with all the intrigue of a crime novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...