Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Book Review: Fortune Favors the Cruel (Dark Maji #1)

Fortune Favors the Cruel (Dark Maji #1)

Fortune Favors the Cruel
Lucy Smoke and Kel Carpenter
5/5

Overview

Fortune Favors the Cruel is a fantasy novel featuring Quinn, a dark nightmare edgelord, and Lazarus, a similarly dark nightmare edgelord. It felt very Young Elites except like more adult, character with a dark power that she's afraid to totally embrace but ends up embracing anyways. I know that's overused but I love it so I was honestly loving it from the beginning because I love an overpowered female protagonist.

I don't want to spoil too much, but I feel like this book mostly deserves five-stars for how hidden yet well-written it is. I have a bad feeling about book series that get released all in one year (even though I read them like crazy) and I'm not blind to the grammatical issues and the plot-holes that usually accompany them. This one though, I felt like it had a lot more depth than there usually is. And for once, the main character wasn't being completely stupid. Quinn had a Throne of Glass vibe but like without the constant rebellion that just countered the plot, she actually knew when it was best to just go along with things. That's honestly one of the most commendable attributes in a character for me considering the recent trend in trying to create the perfect edgy strong-girl. I feel like I like more realism, and the more realistic survivalist would know when to back down despite of their own pride.

Not to say that Quinn wasn't a strong female character, her powers are shaping up to be pretty amazing. I loved everything about her, she controlled fear completely and she isn't even completely powered-up yet. Lazarus was pretty cool too, I could support him for most of his decisions. One thing I would recommend less of though would be the whole ellipsis thing, I was so sick of the "...she couldn't be!" thing. He was a little too broody, but what can you expect from such an edgelord.

Would I Recommend?

Yeah! It was a super short read, 370 pages on Kindle, and it had a lot of substance. I'm interested to see where the rest of the series goes, there's a lot of potential with the political systems alone, not to mention all the amazing dark-light-gray maji stuff happening. It's labeled a lot as a romance, but there isn't a ton of romance happening. There's a lot of promise for the next book though as it's obviously being set-up, but it's seeming like more of a slow-burn type thing. Looking forward to that for sure in the sequel!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...