Monday, May 10, 2021

Book Review: A Bed of Blades (The Kingmakers' War #2)

A Bed of Blades (The Kingmakers' War, #2)

A Bed of Blades

Kate Avery Ellison

3/5

Do you hate sequels that start up immediately after the last book ended? Then this is the sequel for you because I'm still unsure on the timeline. Synopsis says two years after the end of book one so we'll go with that, but yes they told Briand they would be coming back but plot twist they didn't and she's been on her own for over a year now. When her paths cross with Kael again, she's quickly thrown back into her role working with a cause she really isn't all that passionate about. She has to choose where her loyalties lay and decide how best to use her powers. 

I don't think I liked this book all that much more than the first, but I boosted it to three stars because Briand was a lot easier to handle. Everyone didn't just hate her for no reason, a lot of the characters actually liked her. I wish everyone would stop calling her a guttersnipe as that's not really all that congruent with her mannerism nor her familial ties but you win some you lose some. 

I'm still not sure if I would call it a fantasy romance because the romance doesn't even really start till like 70 percent into the book. It's essential to the story line but also somehow simultaneously non-essential. All, props to this book because I don't find the characters particularly lovable but I'm desperate to know Kael's identity/what happened with the Hermit so I'm definitely going to keep reading despite the flaws. I think there's a lot of potential for the story could go if we commit to the plot progression a little more firmly. Also, these are ten pretty short books and I think a lot more could be accomplished with like four or five average length books. If they all weren't immediately available to me on KU it would be a lot more annoying though. I'm not sure if I'm recommending the series, it's great for unfocused reading but a little weak regarding fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...