Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Book Review: Spellmaker (Spellbreaker Duology #2)

Spellmaker (Spellbreaker Duology, #2)

Spellmaker

Charlie N. Holmberg

3/5

I got an ARC of this book from NetGalley in return for a fair and honest review. Spellmaker is the second book in this duology following the adventures of Elsie and Bacchus. Elsie is a spellbreaker who has spent the last ten years hiding from registration and committing acts that she thought were the betterment of society. When she is turned in for her refusal to register it's looking as though it's between life in prison and the noose. Bacchus saves her but only by promising to marry her. Now they have to plan for their upcoming wedding while simultaneously hunting down a murderous spellmaker. 

It wasn't a bad book, I read it super fast and I wasn't bored. It's just that so many things felt like they were opened and set up to be super interesting and then were just too neatly resolved. I applaud the fact that it blended the supernatural with just regular problems. Like I said in the previous review, these books might be set in the 1800s but they're really not for fans of like Victorian era romances or anything. More for the lack of technology and the simplicity in the respect. 

Again, I think it was an ending that completely satisfied everything that was opened in the first book but it could have been done in a more dramatic way. I recognize that not every problem has to be magic in a fantasy book but like I wouldn't have minded. I think that maybe it tried a little too hard to shut everything down and stick to a duology and it was a little flat because of it. I would still recommend the duology, I am a little disappointed though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...