Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Book Review: When Duty Calls

 When Duty Calls

When Duty Calls

Belen Paccagnella

3/5

I'm back on Kindle Unlimited AKA back on these Pride and Prejudice rewrites. This is a FMS, when Elizabeth is trying to escape from her angry mother after rejecting Mr. Collins' proposal, she runs into Mr. Darcy. They're caught in one of those unfortunately misconstrued positions that makes marriage the only option to save Elizabeth's reputation. 

The thing that annoyed me here was that though they were both making major sacrifices, Elizabeth is the one who complained the whole time. I feel like Darcy's character and his pride were generally lost as he tried to appease Elizabeth. She got so angry and so rude, understandable in her circumstances but still felt like it was dealt with in an uncharacteristic manner. 

I did like the way the events of the book reflected the events of the original without being direct. I love these rewrites because they're like the theory of parallel universes, if one thing had gone a little bit differently how would the rest of the world changed? I think it must be so difficult to hold to the original characterization but this one did a fairly decent job. 

Not the best variation that I've read, but it was pretty good considering its length. It had its ups and downs but I don't regret reading it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...