Sunday, November 22, 2020

Book Review: A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone #1)

 A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)

 A Touch of Darkness

Scarlett St. Clair

3/5

I saw this book on TikTok and someone had it labeled as a good read for the "I hate everyone but you" cliche. I honestly didn't even read the description before downloading it because I was like if TikTok recommended it and it's on Kindle Unlimited what do I have to lose. I had no idea that it was a modern day type Hades and Persephone and that was a pretty fun surprise. 

The world was fun but a bit excessive at points. I don't know how to explain it, but it felt as though the author was trying a bit too hard to explain how everything was just slightly different from the real world (basically everything had different names and was related to the gods). It was an interesting twist that I hadn't really seen before- the idea of Hades showing up to someone's apartment in sweatpants was particularly well-placed. It had serious urban fantasy vibes like everything you would expect from something of that genre. 

I also appreciated the twist on the six months deal. It framed it in a way that nothing was being forced and it wasn't as creepy as the original story. The author just chose to ignore Persephone's relation to Zeus and Hades and I think we would all prefer to ignore those genetics anyways. There should be a little less reliance on the sex scenes, the characters really should talk out their problems a bit more. All in all though it has potential and the universe could go to great places.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...