Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Book Review: Thief (Scarred Mage of Roseward #1)

 Thief (The Scarred Mage of Roseward, #1)

Thief

Sylvia Mercedes

3/5

I appreciated the originality of this retelling. There were a lot of fun elements that were touched briefly that could end up being really cool and interesting in the next books in the series. Nelle was a professional thief, but she tried to leave that life behind for honest work. It catches up with her and she finds herself entangled with Soran Silveri, an imprisoned mage, where she has to successfully rob him or lose everything she loves. 

Again, cool concepts. I like the way that magic is like written out, but I wish we had seen more of it. My biggest problem with this book is that it was over 300 pages and absolutely nothing was resolved. It felt much more like a novella than a full-length novel and that was kind of annoying. I would like to see more happening, like either choose the development of magic or the development of the relationship but here I didn't feel like enough was happening.

I liked it well enough but I don't know if it's worth reading the second book before the third book comes out. I also don't know how the third book will possibly resolve anything considering how little was completed here. So overall, it was okay but leaves you wanting more without actually having cliffhangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...