Friday, September 18, 2020

Book Review: A Stroke of Malice (Lady Darby #8)

 A Stroke of Malice (Lady Darby Mystery, #8)

A Stroke of Malice

Anna Lee Huber

4/5

I love this series so much. Kiera and Sebastian are some of the best detectives and definitely one of the best romances I've ever read. In this book, they're attending a party hosted by the Duchess of Bowmont when they come across a dead body. These two really find so many bodies it's unbelievable everyone really has no problems with murder.

I loved the mystery, it was well-developed as they always are. I loved the romance, Sebastian and Kiera have such a strong and functional relationship it's incredible. I also really like the side plot-line that was created about one of the duchess's children, it'll be great to see how that one progresses in other books. I'm ready for things to get a little shaken up and it's kind of annoying to me that a certain character was so hypocritical on Kiera in previous novels given this revelation. 

I don't like how often Kiera has to say that she's not like other ladies or like other members of the aristocracy. I think that it's pretty obvious from content that she behaves differently and at this point we're eight books in and we don't need to be constantly reminded about it. I was also annoyed by how rude her family members were being in this one. I really liked Alana and Trevor as characters and appreciated how supportive they always were. Now I'm not sure though- you shouldn't really take anything that an injured pregnant woman says so seriously especially after you were the one to insult her first and she extended you an olive branch. 

Even with those things considered, I can't wait until the next in this series. I'm excited for Kiera to have her baby and nervous to see what could possibly be worse than a cholera epidemic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...