Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Book Review: Texas Rain (Whispering Mountain #1)

Texas Rain (Whispering Mountain, #1)
Texas Rain
Jodi Thomas
3/5

Rainey Adams is running from an arranged marriage, she's just trying to make ends meet and that involves stealing a horse. Unfortunately, it was in range of Travis McMurray, a Texas Ranger with a pretty strict definition of the law. She makes a clean getaway, pretty much because he lets her, but he can't stop thinking about her.

I think it was a little more authentic than the other westerns I've been reading. I like how they built their relationship through a little bit of correspondence before meeting again, that gave their relationship a little substance. It was fun to see Rainey try to balance her independence with her need for a family that actually cares about her, it would have been a very realistic worry for someone in her position.

I didn't like most of the action. I had a problem with this in the other Jodi Thomas book I read. The action is hard to follow and the first fight scene felt pretty irrelevant too. I get that it meant a lot later on, but it felt so thrown in and random at the time that it gave me whiplash. I was also waiting for Rainey's past to catch up with her, same as I was waiting in the last Foster book. It never did though, I was sure the media attention she got from the whole kidnapping would lead her father right to her or cause the rangers to realize she was wanted for robbery. The time wasn't very conducive for good communications, it just kind of irked me that there was that opportunity for drama and it was squandered.

Overall though I wasn't really all that disappointed with it. If you're looking for a western romance this one is easy to read and not super graphic- I know that's a general problem that some people can have with this genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...