Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Book Review: Where the Crawdads Sing

Where the Crawdads Sing
Where the Crawdads Sing
Delia Owens
5/5

It's been two days since I finished this book and I'm not over it yet. I jump from book to book relatively quickly, but this one is really making me think. Kya Clark raised herself. She was abandoned to the marsh by her mother, then her siblings, then her father, all by the age of ten. She tried school, but she never blended in with the other kids, and ends up living off the kindness of only three individuals.

When I was reading it, I don't know if I liked it that much. I was very stressed out the entire time because I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Kya's an incredible character though because of her perseverance. It was annoying to me at first because I was like she isn't socializing and she's going to get in trouble and I'm so nervous, but she ends up being better at human interaction and nature than I could have ever anticipated.

We're going to get into spoilers here because I really cannot not talk about what happened at the ending. I had assumed that Tate was going to be revealed as the murderer, just because my small brain was like could Kya really have done it?? But she did it and she was so good at it. She played everyone so well that it's astounding. It was really just symbolic of her entire trial with life, she dealt with everything alone and she constantly succeeded at it. I'm also very glad that she did it without Tate but still ended up with Tate, like that was unexpected as well and I'm so proud of her as a character for overcoming that fear.

I loved the characters, I loved the mystery, and overall it was just very enjoyable and easy to get through. I would recommend it for everyone who loves mystery, or everyone who loves a good plot twist. I'm glad that I followed the hype here because it definitely lived up to it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...