Thursday, December 26, 2019

Book Review: Ironskin (Ironskin #1)

Ironskin (Ironskin, #1)
Ironskin
Tina Connolly
3/5

For the past five years, Jane Eliot has worn an iron mask over half of her face. She was scarred by fae shrapnel in the Great War, and as such has a terrible curse running through her. Jane feels inexplicable rage, and when she is not wearing her mask, those around her feel that rage too. She takes a post as a governess for a child whom she believes has similar issues to her, but the child is a whole different breed and Jane soon realizes that she has been addressing everything wrong.

I went back and forth on what to rate this, I think it really only barely made a three-star rating. The plot was better than the story, which is always unfortunate. I liked the idea of fae shrapnel and people having curses like Jane's that stem from such wartime scars, but I feel like the acceptance part of all of that was lost to other elements of the story. There were too many things all going on at once and ultimately, it didn't feel like anything was resolved.

The romance was eh. It had a very cliche swing to it from the start but the socialization and chemistry just wasn't there. Like I don't even know if this could be considered a romance, I suppose it is since romance was a centerpiece of Jane's journey, but it felt so random and out of place in her whole quest for enlightenment.

The whole face masks thing confused me. I thought it was cool, it was another interesting plot point, but then the whole situation with Jane's switched face? I didn't really follow why that was happening and it kind of made me dislike Jane and Edward as characters. I feel like the first half of the book was significantly better than the last half and that's always a sad thing.

I don't think I'd recommend it, it was just too confusing and muddled to make a very compelling story. I don't think I'll go on in the series, but I do like the setting and the universe which Connolly created.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...