Thursday, November 28, 2019

Book Review: Storm (Elemental #1)

Storm (Elemental, #1)
Storm
Brigid Kemmerer
4/5

This is actually my second time reading this, though I read it for the first time in eighth grade before I had a Goodreads or blog or anything. I really like it, I never finished the series and I'm still not sure if I'll do a total reread, I just felt as though this first one has a lot of interesting concepts in it. Becca is trying to escape all of the attention which her ex-boyfriend generated for her, she feels a blend of guilt and fear about a situation which occurred right before her junior year started. She isn't expecting to save a boy in her class from getting beaten up in the parking lot after leaving a self-defense class. Chris quickly launches her into a life of magic which she hadn't thought existed.

Cliche, but there are a lot of deeper issues which I don't remember being as important as they were. It's much more about consent than you would expect from a paranormal/contemporary novel written in the early 2010s. There's also issues with friendships, I hate Quinn and I'm pretty sure she's the reason I quit reading these books. Like, you should support your friends more than she did, especially when they're obviously going through something traumatic.

I wish there hadn't been such a weird love-triangle, I didn't need that in my life. The time-span isn't long enough for me to believe that she became infatuated with two guys that she really met one day after the other. The book felt weirdly realistic in a lot of ways- the bullying wasn't overdone it just felt like life sucked for her in a lot of very unfair ways- but that whole love-triangle thing really annoyed me.

Overall, better than I remember it being. I wanted to read it again after seeing Frozen 2 cause it reminded me of it in a weird way I didn't really understand. Anyways, would recommend it, I think it was cute and Kemmerer only gets better from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Shattered Dreams

Overall: 2/5 Plots and Themes: 3/5 Characters: 2/5 Writing Style: 3/5 Attention Grabbing: 2/5   Lady Elyssa Prescott has consigned herself t...